AARP Home » AARP Blog » AARP »Bulletin Today »The Takeaway: Mitt Romney Says ‘No Thanks’ to Medicare
Bulletin Today Print Print

No Medicare for Mitt Romney: The Republican presidential candidate, who turned 65 yesterday, won’t be enrolling in Medicare. Instead, he will keep his private health insurance, an aide said. This is in keeping with views Romney has expressed on the campaign trail. The GOP front-runner has proposed cutting benefits for wealthier seniors so “low-income seniors would receive the most generous benefits.”

This proposed change—along with raising the eligibility age for everyone enrolling in Medicare—would not take place until 2022, Romney has said, so as not to affect anyone now receiving or approaching Medicare benefits. At a speech last month in Detroit, Romney said:

“In the long run, the eligibility ages for both [Medicare and Social Security] will be indexed to longevity so that they increase only as fast as life expectancy.”

For more on where Romney, Rick Santorum, Ron Paul and Newt Gingrich stand on Medicare, Social Security and other issues, see the AARP Bulletin’s guide to the 2012 GOP presidential candidates.  

Tuesday Quick Hits: 

  • A new study published in the New England Journal of Medicine says the growth in per-patient Medicare costs has slowed, despite earlier projections that it would continue to grow indefinitely. The researchers believe the trend will hold over time, in large part due to Medicare cost-control polices that are part of the 2010 health care reform law.

Photo: Justin Sullivan/Getty Images

0 comments