- AARP - http://blog.aarp.org -
Peachy French Toast – With a Sweet Side
Posted By Lauren Fielder On December 14, 2012 @ 2:30 pm In Health Talk | Comments Disabled
Yield: 4 servings
Excerpted from Cathy Thomas
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided use
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided use
Pinch ground nutmeg
2 large ripe peaches, peeled, pitted, sliced
2 tablespoons sour cream
8 slices French bread or brioche bread, 3/8 inch thick
1/4 teaspoon salt
Agave pancake syrup or maple syrup
Optional for serving: 2 tablespoons sour cream
1. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in medium skillet on medium-high heat. Add sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, and nutmeg; stir until sugar dissolves.
2. Add peaches and cook, stirring occasionally, until peaches are soft. Remove from heat and add 2 tablespoons sour cream. Divide peach mixture evenly on 4 pieces of bread, leaving 1/2-inch border all around. Top each with a second piece of bread; press down gently to seal edges.
3. Place eggs, remaining 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, and salt in pie pan; using a fork, beat well.
4. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in large, deep skillet on medium-high heat. Working in batches, dip both sides of 2 “sandwiches” in egg mixture and pan-fry in melted butter until lightly browned on both sides. Repeat with remaining butter and sandwiches. Cut each “sandwich” in half on the diagonal. If desired, top with remaining sour cream and syrup.
Nutritional information (per serving without syrup and optional sour cream): Calories 590, fat calories 210; total fat 23 grams, sat fat 11 grams, cholesterol 250 milligrams; sodium 700 milligrams; total carbohydrates 79 grams, fiber 5 grams, sugars 10 grams; protein 18 grams; vitamin A IUs 20%; vitamin C 8%; calcium 15%; iron 25%.
Reprinted by permission of the publisher from AARP Melissa’s Everyday Cooking with Organic Produce, by Cathy Thomas. Copyright © 2011 by John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Article printed from AARP: http://blog.aarp.org
URL to article: http://blog.aarp.org/2012/12/14/peachy-french-toast/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://bookstore.aarp.org/WileyCDA/AarpTitle/AARP-Melissa-s-Everyday-Cooking-with-Organic-Produce.productCd-111824835X.html
Copyright © 2013 AARP. All rights reserved.