- AARP - http://blog.aarp.org -
Chicken, Spinach and Pear Pitas Topped With Goat Cheese
Posted By Lauren Fielder On January 18, 2013 @ 2:30 pm In Your Life | Comments Disabled
Excerpted from Diabetic Living Editors
24 g Carb
SERVINGS 6 (1 pita half each)
START TO FINISH 30 minutes
12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
3 whole wheat pita bread rounds, halved crosswise
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
1 ounce soft goat cheese (chevre)
1 tablespoon fat-free milk
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 green onion, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups fresh spinach leaves
1 small pear or apple, cored and thinly sliced
1. Brush chicken on both sides with some of the 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar; set aside. Grill chicken on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals. Grill 12 to 15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (170°F), turning once and brushing with the remainder of the 1 tablespoon vinegar halfway through grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place chicken on the grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.) Cut each chicken breast half into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
2. Meanwhile, wrap pita bread rounds in foil. Place on the grill rack directly over medium coals. Grill about 8 minutes or until bread is warm, turning once halfway through grilling.
3. For sauce: In a small bowl, use a fork to stir together mayonnaise, goat cheese, milk, and the 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar. Stir in green onion.
4. To assemble, arrange spinach, pear slices, and chicken in pita bread halves. Spoon about 1 tablespoon sauce into each pita.
NUTRITION FACTS PER SERVING: 216 cal., 6 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 39 mg chol., 293 mg sodium, 24 g carb., 3 g fiber, 18 g pro. Exchanges: 1.5 starch, 2 lean meat. Carb choices: 1.5.
Reprinted by permission of the publisher from AARP Diabetic Living Quick and Easy Meals, by Diabetic Living Editors. Copyright © 2011 by John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Article printed from AARP: http://blog.aarp.org
URL to article: http://blog.aarp.org/2013/01/18/chicken-spinach-and-pear-pitas/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://bookstore.aarp.org/WileyCDA/AarpTitle/AARP-Diabetic-Living-Quick-and-Easy-Meals.productCd-1118246640.html
Copyright © 2013 AARP. All rights reserved.