News, discoveries and fun …
1. A small, red, furry mammal called an olinguito lives in the trees of South America. (Learn more at Smithsonian Magazine)
2. A popular use of the phrase “organ recital” has nothing to do with music. (Learn more at AARP)
3. The guy who wrote the famous headline “Headless Body in Topless Bar” was axed. (Learn more at AARP)
5. Was Count Dracula really on to something? Scientists believe that bats may hold the secret to human longevity. (Learn more at Bloomberg.com)
6. A man who lost his license for driving too slow says the “sweet spot” for gas mileage in his Ford Ranger pickup is 48 mph. (Learn more at The Bemidji Pioneer)
7. If you’re a new parent, you’ll spend $241,080 to raise your kid — plus college expenses. (Learn more at AARP)
9. “Sliding” is a new technique that thieves use to steal your stuff while you’re pumping gas. (Learn more at AARP)
10. It took the undefeated 1972 Miami Dolphins football team 40 years to get a congratulatory visit to the White House. (Learn more at AARP)
11. Sir Billi, an animated feature about an octogenarian skateboarder (voiced by Sean Connery) who tries to save the last beaver in Scotland, will be released next month in U.K. theaters.
Learn something this week? Let us know, at email@example.com, and we’ll try to include your story next time.
On Twitter, we’re using the hashtag #11things.
Let us read the 11 Things to you:
Music: Deep Sky Blue by Graphiqs Groove via FMA
Also of Interest
- ‘DWTS’ Favorite Derek Hough Is All Over TV
- Average 401(k) Balances for 55-Plus: $255,000
- Join AARP: Savings, resources and news for your well-being
See the AARP home page for deals, savings tips, trivia and more