Hi, everyone! AARP Illinois communications staff member Heather Heppner here to share with you a new video series on Alzheimer’s disease that features Dr. William Klein from Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.).
What do we really know about Alzheimer’s disease – a disease that affects more than 5 million Americans? More than you might think. In this new five-part video series LG Taylor – filmmaker and founder of the science collaborative Neuro.Rapt – explores Alzheimer’s disease with the help of Northwestern researcher William Klein. Klein founded Klein Lab at Northwestern University and his work is dedicated to discovering the cause and developing a cure for Alzheimer’s disease.
Episode 1 – Where It All Began. This five-minute video explores the origins of Alzheimer’s, how the disease affects creativity and imagination, and the emotional and financial toll of the disease.
Episode 3 – Why Toxins Build Up in the Brain and Can We Prevent It? In the third segment of this five-part series on Alzheimer’s Disease, Dr. William L. Klein ponders if there’s a correlation between diabetes, current environment and Alzheimer’s disease.
Episode 4 – Who Does Alzheimer’s Disease Affect?
Episode 5 – Discovering Therapeutics That Work and the New Path Toward Effective Alzheimer’s Disease Treatment In the fifth and final segment of this five-part docu-series on Alzheimer’s Disease: Dr. Klein covers: How do we get the young generation involved? With all of these hurdles, can we be optimistic about what’s on the horizon?
Did you know?*
- Alzheimer’s disease is the sixth-leading cause of death in the United States.
- An estimated 5.2 million Americans have Alzheimer’s disease. Today, an American develops Alzheimer’s disease every 68 seconds.
- In 2013, Alzheimer’s will cost the nation $203 billion. This number is expected to rise to $1.2 trillion by 2050.
- Deaths from Alzheimer’s disease grew by 68 percent between 2000 and 2010, while rates for other major causes of death (e.g. heart disease) decreased during this time period.
*Facts provided by the Alzheimer’s Association
Also of Interest
- Are Heavy Metals Evildoers in Alzheimer’s Disease?
- What Causes Dementia? Anemia Is Part of the Puzzle
- Join AARP: Savings, resources and news for your well-being
See the AARP home page for deals, savings tips, trivia and more