What if I told you doing just ONE thing could instantly improve your appearance? Most women think a makeover requires a major head-to-toe transformation. Often just a single DIY switch to a new product or an updated wardrobe basic makes all the difference. Here are my top 7 ideas:
1. LET A TINTED GRADUAL SELF-TANNER LIBERATE YOUR BODY. Want to free your arms and legs from cardigans and pants this season? Bumping up your skin tone one notch to a subtle, sunnier hue makes brown spots and veins blend in, firms saggy knees and puffy ankles, and freshens a “crepe-y” chest. Try: L’Oreal Paris Sublime Bronze Tinted Self-Tanning Mousse ($10.99, lorealparisusa.com).
2. FIND A SCENTED BODY CREAM TO LOVE. Pick an exotic smelling body moisturizer (already a virtual vacation in a bottle), preferably one with built-in dead-cell-buffing fruit acids. Then say goodbye to gator shins, crusty elbows and chicken skin. That self-tanner will glide on and absorb better, too. Apply cream in the p.m., self-tanner in the a.m. or vice-versa. Try: Archipelago Botanicals Boticario de Havana Body Lotion ($29, archipelago-usa.com), Bath & Body Works Aromatherapy True Blue Spa Nourishing Body Lotion in Tahiti Sweetie ($15, bathandbodyworks.com).
3. ERASE SUN DAMAGE WITH LUMINIZING MAKEUP. Light-reflecting formulas work like the old Vaseline-on-the- camera-lens trick to mute lines and discolorations. Switch to a shimmery tinted moisturizer, or sandwich a shimmery liquid luminizer between your usual moisturizer and foundation to look fresher … stat! Try Josie Maran Argan Illuminizer ($28, sephora.com), Laura Mercier Illuminating Tinted Moisturizer ($43, lauramercier.com).
4. LINE EYES BETWEEN THE LASHES TO LIFT, DEFINE AND ENLARGE. Stop applying eyeliner above your upper lashes. Instead sketch a black pencil in short back-and-forth strokes right between the base of the lashes at the very roots. Wiggle it back and forth, and repeat till all gaps are filled. Black mascara will camouflage any irregularities, tiny smears. Try: L’Oreal Paris Silkissime by Infallible Eyeliner ($8.99,lorealparisusa.com), Neutrogena Nourishing Eyeliner ($7.49, neutrogena.com).
5. DEFINE YOUR WAIST AND SHOW YOUR LEGS TO LOSE POUNDS. Reshape your body with a wrap-style fit-and-flare dress. Your legs create a narrow elongated base. Then the fitted V wrap lengthens and shapes while the A-line part hides tummy bulge, a generous booty or jiggly thighs. Try: Lands’ End Women’s Regular Elbow-Sleeve Cotton Modal Fit & Flare Dress ($34.99-$55, landsend.com).
6. FATTEN YOUR HAIR WITH DRY MISTS. Forget prepping with messy styling mousses, serums and creams. Dry styling products added as a final step after your blow-dry are the new secret to rebooting fine, thin hair. They let you use leave-in conditioners or oils without additional residue from wet stylers. Try: L’Oreal Paris Boost It High-Lift Creation Spray ($4.99, lorealparisusa.com).
7. WEAR POINTY TOE FLATS TO LENGTHEN YOUR LEGS. We’ve given up heels for “comfort” sandals, scrunch-back ballet slippers, chunky wedges or big fat sneakers – but where’s the sex appeal? Closed pointy-toe D’ Orsay flats with sensual cutout sides add inches without elevation, and are easy on bony feet, too. Try: Franco Sarto Women’s Hawk D’Orsay Flat ($71.99-$79.95, amazon.com), Halogen Kayla Pointy Toe Flat ($79.95, nordstrom.com).
For more beauty and style tips for women 50 +, check The Wardrobe Wakeup, Your Guide to Looking Fabulous at Any Age by Lois Joy Johnson ($14.55, amazon.com).
Photo credit : Archipelago-usa.com