- AARP - http://blog.aarp.org -
11 Things We Didn’t Know Last Week
Posted By Steve Mencher On May 7, 2014 @ 4:13 pm In 11 Things We Didn't Know Last Week | Comments Disabled
News, discoveries and … fun
1. Young blood can make old mice more youthful. (Learn more at AARP)
2. Middle-aged women who don’t sleep so well may be in for memory problems later in life. (Learn more at AARP)
3. The nation’s 65+ population is projected to double by 2050. (Learn more at AARP)
4. Doctors are now implanting tiny pacemakers directly into their patients’ hearts. (Learn more at Gizmodo)
5. Until recently, only one goblin shark had ever been caught in the Gulf of Mexico. (Learn more at CNN)
6. Spam is being used to track an invasion of big-headed ants in California. (Learn more at Orange County Register)
7. Over their lifetimes, college graduates make about $800,000 more than high school graduates, even factoring in tuition and four years of lost income. (Learn more at Reuters)
8. A Chinese company is printing 10 3-D houses a day, at a cost of less than $5,000 for each. (Learn more at BBC)
9. The late Mad magazine editor Al Feldstein created Alfred E. (“What, me worry?”) Neuman as a mock presidential candidate in 1956. (Learn more at AARP)
10. If you’re more afraid of sharks than mosquitoes, you don’t know much about the world’s deadliest animals. (Learn more at Washington Post)
11. Apples and strawberries top the “dirty dozen” fruits and veggies, while avocados lead the “clean 15.” (Learn more at AARP)
Bonus video: A new “singing nun,” from the Italian version of The Voice, is making waves, with 47+ million views on YouTube.
Learn something this week? Mail your ideas to email@example.com, and we’ll try to include your story next time.
On Twitter, we’re using the hashtag #11things.
Let us read 11 Things to you:
Images - Mice (cropped from original): Nils J./Flickr; Woman napping: DRBimages/iStockphoto; Medtronic Micra – image provided by Medtronic, Inc.; Goblin shark: Photo by Carl Moore/NOAA; Graduation: Community College of Vermont/Flickr; 3-D printed house: 3DPrinterPlans/WinSun; Me Worry? postcard: Wikimedia; World’s Deadliest Animals: Washington Post;
Music – The Voice/Italy and Alex Beroza: Spinning via ccMixter
Also of Interest
See the AARP home page for deals, savings tips, trivia and more
Article printed from AARP: http://blog.aarp.org
URL to article: http://blog.aarp.org/2014/05/07/11-things-we-didnt-know-last-week-41/
Copyright © 2013 AARP. All rights reserved.