- AARP - http://blog.aarp.org -
Sugar as Face Scrub? Yes! Plus More Kitchen Beauty Tips
Posted By Barbara Hannah Grufferman On May 15, 2014 @ 12:08 pm In Be Your Best | Comments Disabled
Did you know there are products  just sitting on your kitchen shelves and waiting to be used for more than sweetening your tea or making lemonade?
I went nosing around in my kitchen  recently to see what I could use for better health and beauty.
Here are a few of my favorite homemade health and beauty aids. None has artificial ingredients or chemicals. They’re good for you and good for the environment.
1. Facial and Body Scrub: Exfoliating is one of the most important things we can do for the health of our skin, both face and body. Plain old white sugar is one of the best exfoliants around. Keep a jar of it in your shower. Take a handful and gently massage your entire body with it, using a soft washcloth, and be extra gentle with your face. Rinse and the sugar crystals simply melt away down the drain. So much better than eating it!
2. Moisturizer for Hair, Face and Body: The ancient Romans knew what they were doing when they slathered “liquid gold” on every part of their bodies, saving a little for their hair. It can be used for just about anything. Watch this  to see what olive oil can do.
3. Jump-Start Your System: There are so many things you can do with lemon juice (preferably freshly squeezed). Soak your nails in it (without polish) to reduce yellowing. And better yet, take a tablespoon or two of freshly squeezed juice and mix into a tall glass of warm water. Imbibe it first thing in the morning, before drinking or eating anything else. It’s a great way to hydrate and jump-start your system.
4. Treat Rosacea: Yogurt is an effective treatment for rosacea, a common skin condition. It softens skin while calming the redness – especially after eating something spicy or enjoying a little too much heart-healthy red wine. Apply it as a mask and leave on for about 15 minutes. Rinse and apply a light layer of olive oil.
5. Chemical-Free Kitchen and Bathroom Disinfectant: For better overall health, try to avoid using chemicals in your home. To disinfect your kitchen and bathrooms, make this simple solution and use as your everyday kitchen countertop cleaner: Mix water, ¼ cup white vinegar, 8 drops of tea tree oil and a few drops of lavender oil (for fragrance) in a spray bottle, and shake well. Tea tree oil has natural disinfectant properties, and the white vinegar is a terrific general cleaning product.
Want a few more ideas? Take a look at this short video from The Best of Everything After 50 series for the AARP YouTube Channel:
For more tips on living your best life, look inside The Best of Everything After 50: The Experts’ Guide to Style, Sex, Health, Money and More , and subscribe to The Best of Everything After 50  video series on AARP’s YouTube Channel.
Photo: Tiny Telecast 
Also of Interest
See the AARP home page  for deals, savings tips, trivia and more
Article printed from AARP: http://blog.aarp.org
URL to article: http://blog.aarp.org/2014/05/15/sugar-as-face-scrub-yes-plus-more-kitchen-beauty-tips/
URLs in this post:
 products: http://blog.aarp.org/2013/09/04/household-products-youve-been-using-wrong/?intcmp=AE-BLIL-BL
 kitchen: http://blog.aarp.org/2014/01/20/5-kitchen-products-that-make-inexpensive-beauty-substitutes/?intcmp=AE-BLIL-BL
 >> Sign up for the AARP Health Newsletter : http://www.aarp.org/online-community/people/subscribeFromEmail.action?id=19061&intcmp=ILC-EMAIL-SUB-HLTH
 Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykMNRdI-ClE&list=SPXQ-JEOv9JjFKRGps038tctU_B_6DgSvd
 >> Get travel discounts with your AARP Member Advantages.: http://discounts.aarp.org/travel/index/uSource/HCTN?intcmp=AE-BL-TRV-DISC
 Image: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZpU0yKn4eA
 The Best of Everything After 50: The Experts’ Guide to Style, Sex, Health, Money and More: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0762437405/ref=s9_simh_bw_p14_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=06C91R3Q5FVTPR6HSKED&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1388908102&pf_rd_i=283155
 The Best of Everything After 50: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXQ-JEOv9JjFKRGps038tctU_B_6DgSvd
 Tiny Telecast: http://www.tinytelecast.com/diy-lemon-sugar-scrub/
 Diane Keaton Has 7 Ways to Age With Attitude: http://blog.aarp.org/2014/05/15/diane-keaton-has-7-ways-to-age-with-attitude/?intcmp=AE-ENDART1-BL-REL
 Want to Drop Pounds Fast? Try These Tactics: http://www.aarp.org/food/healthy-eating/info-11-2012/lose-weight-quickly-photos.html?intcmp=AE-ENDART2-BL-BOS
 Fight Fraud and ID Theft With the AARP Fraud Watch Network: http://www.aarp.org/money/scams-fraud/fraud-watch-network/?intcmp=AE-BL-ENDART-ADV-FWN
 Join AARP: https://appsec.aarp.org/MSS/join/application?keycode=U9ZTPH9&intcmp=AE-ENDART3-BL-MEM
 AARP home page: http://www.aarp.org/?intcmp=AE-ENDART3-BL-HP
Copyright © 2013 AARP. All rights reserved.