News, discoveries and … fun
1. Some Japanese islands have more cats than people. (Learn more at The Atlantic)
2. The length of a man’s fingers might signal how nice he’ll be to women. (Learn more at AARP)
3. EGOT — a word for someone, like Whoopi Goldberg, who has won an Emmy, Grammy, Oscar and Tony — is in the Oxford Dictionaries Online. (Learn more at Time)
4. Stem cells from wisdom teeth can grow tissue that might lead to a cure for a common form of blindness. (Learn more at Huffington Post)
5. A woodpecker can fly with a weasel on its back. (Learn more at ITVNews/Twitter)
— ITV News (@itvnews) March 2, 2015
6. People built the “City of the Monkey God” a thousand years ago in the Honduran jungle. (Learn more at National Geographic)
7. The online dating service Tinder charges people over age 30 twice as much for its premium service. (Learn more at Mashable)
8. Colorado businesses sold 148,238 pounds of marijuana in 2014, the first year that recreational use was legal. (Learn more at Mashable)
9. Fewer large companies are run by women than by men named John. (Learn more at NY Times, The Upshot)
10. Regularly sleeping more than eight hours puts you at much higher risk for stroke. (Learn more at Bustle)
11. Before dying from chronic lung disease, Leonard Nimoy tweeted: “Don’t smoke. I did. Wish I never had.” (Learn more at AARP)
Meet Jazzbo, a 76-year-old clown and one-man band.
Let us read 11 Things to you:
[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/194253269″ params=”color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false” width=”100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]
Learn something this week? Mail your ideas to email@example.com, and we’ll try to include your story next time.
On Twitter, we’re using the hashtag #11things.
Images – Cats: Asahi Shimbun via Getty Images; Hands: blackred/iStock; Oscar statuette: MattJeacock/iStock; Vermeer, Woman Asleep detail, courtesy of Metropolitan Museum of Art; Tinder screenshot: Courtesy of Tinder; Marijuana plant: Federacion de Asociaciones Cannabicas/Flickr; Nimoy: Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP.
Music – Smithsonian Jazz Masterworks Orchestra plays Jimmie Lunceford and his Orchestra – Blue Blazes by Sy Oliver, Creative Commons, courtesy of Smithsonian Remix project
Also of Interest
- Mind-Controlled Bionic Hand and Other Things We Didn’t Know Last Week
- 10 Must-Visit International Destinations
- AARP Foundation Tax-Aide: Get free help preparing and filing your taxes
- Join AARP: Savings, resources and news for your well-being
See the AARP home page for deals, savings tips, trivia and more.