In The Raw: The Culprit In Cookie Dough Contamination

Holiday baking is in full force, but don’t be tempted to nibble on that raw cookie dough. Especially you, ladies. Two years ago, eating Nestle Toll House raw cookie dough sickened 77 people in 30 states, most of them women and adolescent girls. It was the first time packaged cookie dough had ever caused food poisoning. Now a lengthy investigation into that outbreak has found a likely — and surprising — culprit: The flour. After Nestle recalled 3.6 million packages …

Sticky Situation: Most Store Brand Honey Isn’t Honey

More than three-fourths of the honey sold in U.S. grocery stores bears little resemblance to the nutritious nectar that bees produce, according to testing done for Food Safety News. Laboratory testing of more than 60 products from 10 states and the District of Columbia found that a high-tech process called ultra-filtration had removed all pollen, which effectively erases all of  honey’s natural nutrients and also obscures the only way authorities can pinpoint where the honey came from. Ultra-filtered honey that …