AARP Eye Center
11 Things We Didn't Know Last Week - Thanksgiving Edition
By Steve Mencher, November 27, 2013 02:30 PM
News, discoveries and fun ...
1. Millennials are about twice as likely to believe in aliens as boomers (27 percent vs. 14 percent). (Learn more at AARP)
2. Connecticut twins who never married and lived modestly in their parents' home revealed a multi-million dollar secret when they died. (Learn more at AARP)
3. Men's noses are bigger than women's. (Learn more at Discovery)
4. The U.S. Postal Service has begun Sunday deliveries in New York and Los Angeles. (Learn more at Yahoo)
5. Vancouver outlawed doorknobs. (Learn more at AARP)
6. Mick Jagger will be a great-grandfather in early 2014. (Learn more at Guardian)
7. Buddha lived in Nepal in the 6th century BC, archaeologists found. (Learn more at redOrbit)
8. A Virginia man plans to pay off a $200,000 toll-road debt over the next 54 years. (Learn more at NBC Washington)
9. Supermarkets in several states found black widow spiders on grapes. (Learn more at Huffington Post)
10. A doctor in Minneapolis named Happy Thanksgiving will get two holidays on Nov. 28. (Learn more at UPI)
11. A Manhattan restaurant is selling "The Grass-Whopper," a burger with a patty made from crickets, Mexican cheese and seasonings. (Learn more at Yahoo)
Video Extra - A wildlife photographer has gotten close to some lions with an ingenious new device.
Learn something this week? Mail your ideas to email@example.com, and we'll try to include your story next time.
On Twitter, we're using the hashtag #11things.
Let us read 11 Things to you:
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/122191363" width="100%" height="166" iframe="true" /]
Images: Home page promo image of little green man: Credit: Teddy Sczudlo/Getty Images; Aliens above: Credit: Corbis; Kathleen Magowan: Vincent Funeral Home; Couple nose to nose: lisafx/iStockphoto; Doorknob: Frank Fujimoto/Flickr; Mick Jagger: Jonathan Bayer/Flickr; Black Widow Spider: Shenrich/WikiMedia; Turkey cake: Shawn Porter/Flickr; Grass-Whopper burger: courtesy of AntojeriaNYC
Music - Smithsonian Jazz Masterworks Orchestra plays Jimmie Lunceford and his Orchestra - Blue Blazes by Sy Oliver, Creative Commons, courtesy of Smithsonian Remix project.
Also of Interest
- Home DNA Tests: Are They Safe?
- 10 Great Small Cities for Retirement
- Please give to the Typhoon Haiyan relief fund to maximize donations for those in need.
- Join AARP: Savings, resources and news for your well-being
See the AARP home page for deals, savings tips, trivia and more