News, discoveries and fun ...
1. C ockroaches that survive harsh winters have invaded New York. (Learn more at U.S. News)
2. Saturn's six-sided jet stream creates a stunning GIF. (Learn more at Engadget.com)
3. Singer Susan Boyle has Asperger's Syndrome. (Learn more at AARP)
4. Kitty, the most popular name for female kittens from 2000 to 2006, has dropped behind Bella and Lucy. (Learn more at Vetstreet)
5. Not all species decline with age, a new survey finds. (Learn more at Science Daily)
6. Including the word " overstock" in Internet addresses is a popular lure for fraud this holiday season. (Learn more at AARP)
7. Another holiday heads-up: decorating gets more dangerous every year. (Learn more at AARP)
8. Making a selfie video while riding an emu might be considered animal cruelty. (Learn more at Daily Dot)
9. Organic milk is more nutritious than conventional milk. (Learn more at AARP)
10. MIT is offering a prize for saying the world's toughest tongue twister 10 times in a row. (Learn more at AARP)
11. A stuffed monkey's two-inch toy pistol can be considered a dangerous weapon at an airport. (Learn more at King5.com)
Learn something this week? Mail your ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we'll try to include your story next time.
On Twitter, we're using the hashtag #11things.
Let us read 11 Things to you:
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/124354198" params="color=ff6600&auto_play=false&show_artwork=true" width="100%" height="166" iframe="true" /]
Images: Cockroaches courtesy of Lyle Buss, University of Florida Insect ID Lab; Saturn jet stream: NASA, JPL; Susan Boyle: Scott Campbell/Getty Images; Three Cats: Ferran Jordí /Flickr; LEGO Christmas: Thom Watson/Flickr; Emu: Aussiegall/Flickr; Tongue Twisters: MirekP/istockphoto; Sock puppet's gun: Phyllis May via King5; Cat for audio player: Doug88888/Flickr
Music: U.S. Air Force Band
Also of Interest
- Test Your Brain With the Toughest Tongue Twister Ever
- 7 Things You Should Never Say to Customer Service
- Join AARP: Savings, resources and news for your well-being
See the AARP home page for deals, savings tips, trivia and more