1. Those who continue to wear the same makeup they've been putting on their faces all year long, and very possibly, since they were 20.
2. Those who decide it's too hot, too much trouble, and too annoying to wear anything at all.
Everyone needs a little bit of something, so I would like to propose a third category, one in which I put myself after I turned 50 and needed to update my makeup, especially in summer:
Those who wear just the right amount of the right products for a face that looks cool, current, and confident... no matter how hot it gets.
While researching products for my book, The Best of Everything After 50, I tried many different lipsticks, mascaras, eyeliners, and so on. I settled on only a few, all of which are listed in the book. Some were recommended by experts (like the fabulous Laura Geller) but many I discovered just by wandering the aisles of my local Duane Reade drugstore or Target. Most are extremely well priced and all flatter just about every skin type and shade.
If you're looking for an easy, fast, and oh-so-pretty summer look, here it is:
First, get your skin ready (2 minutes):
- Dab on a few dots of an antioxidant serum (I LOVE Boots 7 Intensive Serum).
- Dab on a few dots of eye cream (RoC Multi Correxion is a good one).
- Apply a light layer of a moisturizing lotion with sunscreen (try Aveeno Positively Radiant Moisturizer with SPF 30 or L'Oreal Regenerist Lotion with SPF 50 (my daily go-to product)).
Great tip: Do 20 push-ups while you're waiting for the moisturizer to settle in. If you do these every day, your arms will look fabulous, and your cheeks get a little flush to them, too. Push-ups a little rusty? Here's a short "how-to" video:
Okay, now the real fun begins (complete with shopping list) . . . all in less than 5 minutes:
- Smooth a little of a "CC" cream (like Olay Total Effects 7 CC Moisturizer with SPF 15) over your face with your fingertips.
- With a powder brush, apply a subtle bronzer (I use Laura Geller Beauty Bronze-n-Brighten all over your face for a little added color and to take away any extra shine.
- With your ring finger, dab a few dots of Benefit's High Beam under your brows, along the tops of your cheekbones, and at the inside corners of your eyes, near the tear ducts (celebrity makeup artist Carmindy taught me this simple trick).
- Create a very thin line along your upper and lower lash lines with an eyeliner designed to stay put, even in the heat (I swear by Revlon ColorStay Eyeliner in Charcoal).
- Curl lashes with a lash curler.
- Add a coat of black waterproof mascara (like Diorshow Waterproof Mascara) to top lashes only.
- Finish off your pretty polished summer look with a bit of pink lipstick (MAC in Please Me is perfect)
Result? You've protected your face with loads of sunscreen, created a fresh, pretty, modern, light look for summer--in a just few minutes--and managed to squeeze in a few push-ups! Top it all off with a fun shade of polish for your fingers and toes (ever try a gorgeous shade of blue?), some great sunglasses to protect your beautiful eyes, and a really cool hat (here's one I stole from my husband's closet):
Summer (and you!) never looked so good.
I want to hear from you! What are some of your favorite summer makeup secrets? Please share in the comments section below!
Questions? Leave them in the comments section below. For more tips on living your best life after 50 (or 60, or 70...) check out The Best of Everything After 50: The Experts' Guide to Style, Sex, Health, Money and More and www.bestofeverythingafter50.com. Keep me posted on how you're doing by subscribing to me on Facebook and "tweeting" me on Twitter at @BGrufferman. Check out the full video series - The Best of Everything - on the AARP YouTube Channel.
Also of Interest
- 10 Real Secrets of Ageless Women
- 5 Places You May Not Be Wearing Sunscreen (But Should)
- Join AARP: Savings, resources and news for your well-being
See the AARP home page for deals, savings tips, trivia and more