Are boomer babes having a "Confidence Crisis"?
I ask you that because it seems like we're not so in love with our bodies these days. Even the peppiest kale-munching yoga practitioner among us can be heard whining about her saggy boobs, loose thighs and tummy bulge. And whether you're a size 4 or 14, shopping for fall clothes only amplifies the angst.
So before you take refuge in that security blanket known as "Old Sweatpants and a Big Tee," try these tips to get over yourself - and amp up your attitude:
1. "I will not envy aging supermodels, peers with taut gym bodies or impossibly young models on sites supposedly meant for women my age."
2. "I do not need a personal trainer, a juice cleanse, liposuction, a tummy tuck or gastric-bypass surgery."
3. "I do need to work out - consistently - and eat healthfully (likewise consistently).
4. "I will jump on the treadmill, walk more, drink more water and practice portion control."
>> Want to Drop Pounds Fast? Try These 12 Tactics
Ignore the size tag. With the average dress size for American women now a 14 - and the average bra size 36D - many 50+ females are rocking curves that would be the envy of Marilyn Monroe. If you're part of the plus-size platoon, acknowledge the fact that your body has "moved on"; toss the 14 pairs of jeans you've been saving for "when I get back to my normal weight." And get rid of any "fat day" clothes: Those baggy sweaters, full-cut pants and oversize anything (from boxy blazers to floppy tunics) aren't doing you any favors.
1. A body-skimming stretch lace dress shows curves and blurs the rest.
2. Slim ankle-cropped "boyfriend jeans" reveal trim ankles and fabulous shoes.
3. A rich leather pencil skirt (left) adds a firm, sleek base for silky blouses, light layers and A-shape sweaters.
All three of the above items are available in sizes 0 to 14 and 14 to 22 or higher. Try, for example, Adrianna Papell Lace Overlay Sheath in plus sizes 14 to 22 or Diane Von Furstenberg's Zarita Lace Dress in sizes 0 to 14; Eileen Fisher Plus Roll Cuff Boyfriend Jeans in sizes 16 to 24 or Levi's Boyfriend Jeans in sizes 24 to 32; or Halogen Leather Pencil Skirt in sizes 0 to 16 or DKNYC Plus-Size Faux Leather Pencil Skirt in plus sizes 14 to 22.
>> Get travel discounts with your AARP Member Advantages.
For more beauty and style tips for women 50-plus, check out my Wardrobe Wakeup: Your Guide to Looking Fabulous at Any Age.
Photos: nordstrom.com, nordstrom.com, bloomingdales.com
>>Next: 5 Smart (and Womanly) Buys for Fall
Also of Interest
- 3 Ways to Get Better Skin by Tomorrow
- Your New Retirement Number: $58,000
- Fight fraud and ID theft with the AARP Fraud Watch Network.
- Join AARP: Savings, resources and news for your well-being
See the AARP home page for deals, savings tips, trivia and more