UPDATED: Some of us may dread tax day, April 15, but it's also a day to cash in on some freebies.
This year, most of us are bringing home less in our paychecks, thanks to the expiration of the Social Security payroll tax break. Some of us may have given up little luxuries, like our daily run to the coffee shop, now that the payroll tax has returned to its traditional 6.2 percent rate.
- Arby's is giving away value-sized curly fries or a small order of potato cakes with a printable coupon.
- Cinnabon is offering two free Cinnabon Bites on April 15 from 6 to 8 p.m.
- Schlotzsky's is giving away the original small sandwich with the purchase of a 32-ounce drink and chips.
- 7-Eleven is providing a medium Slurpee for free when you text "Slurp7" to "711711" (ends April 30).
- The Melting Pot is giving away a second portion of cheese fondue when you buy one portion.
- Subway's deal: Buy one 6-inch sandwich before 9 a.m., get a second one for free (ends April 30).
- Chili's is giving you a free appetizer or dessert when you "like" its Facebook page.
- AMC Theaters is giving away popcorn from Friday, April 12, through Monday, April 15.
- Great American Cookies is offering a free birthday cake cookie.
- Pinkberry is giving away Pinkberrygreek yogurt from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. every Wednesday until April 24.
- Panda Express is giving away a free Samurai surf & turf entree on April 17, the Wednesday after tax day, with this coupon.
- Smokey Bones Bar & Fire Grill is offering last-minute filers a free dessert (mention cheesy refund) and free meals to tax preparers from 7 p.m. to midnight.
- California Tortilla is giving away an order of chips and queso with any purchase (mention the password 1040).
- Sonic restaurants are offering half-priced drinks and slushes.
Other stores, like Office Depot, are also offering deals: Free document shredding up to five pounds until May 1.
Photo credit: Cristina Valencia via flickr.com
Also of Interest
- Changing Jobs? Beware of Bad Informaiton About 401(k) Options
- 9 Things to Look for in the President's Budget
- Join AARP: Savings, resources and news for your well-being
See the AARP home page for deals, savings tips, trivia and more