in-home care

Amy Goyer discusses in-home services to help her grandparents age in place and how Older Americans Act helped.
When I became a caregiver for my dad's parents, Grandmother Genevieve had dementia and Granddaddy C.V., 10 years her senior, was struggling to care for her. I remember realizing they were getting by on a meager breakfast at home and a single meal at a cafeteria. Getting Grandmother into the car and Granddaddy driving her to the cafeteria were becoming scary, so I contacted the local Area Agency on Aging and arranged for delivery of Meals on Wheels to their home.
We all have people who inspire and influence us as role models in how we care for our loved ones. Amy describes an amazing woman who was her role model for caregiving.
Not even 5 feet tall, she was tiny but powerful; she filled up a room. She was my second "mommie;" counselor, comforter, friend and inspiration. Dr. Anne Samaan, my best friend Laurette and her sister Jenny's mom, and my godchild Catalina's grandmother, died last week; she was 91. The world is dimmer without her sometimes colorful presence. She has influenced me since I was 6 years old, especially because she was a caregiving pioneer.
michelle
Editor's note: This is last in a series of posts by guest blogger Michelle Seitzer on housing options for caregivers.  For a series recap, please see links below.
dementia
Seniors with dementia are more likely to be hospitalized for illnesses that could have been prevented or treated with better outpatient care, a new study has found. In the study, which followed 3,091 adults age 65 or older for eight years, researchers found that the 427 seniors who developed dementia had roughly twice the annual hospitalization rate of participants without dementia. Overall, 86 percent of seniors with dementia went to the hospital at least once compared with only 59 percent of those without. The researchers found that having dementia increased the odds of being hospitalized by 41 percent. More importantly, they found the risk of being hospitalized for potentially preventable illnesses -- most commonly, urinary tract infection, pneumonia and congestive heart failure -- was 78 percent higher for people with dementia. The study was published this week in the Journal of the American Medical Association. Elizabeth Phelan, M.D., of the University of Washington School of Medicine and the study's lead author, said hospitalizations often cause further health problems for dementia patients and should be avoided, if possible. "There have been lots of studies looking at the risks for people with dementia in the hospital. They're at risk for delirium, falls, pressure ulcers; they may need to be restrained, and many never return to their prior level of functioning after a hospitalization. If hospitalizations could be avoided, it would be helpful for preserving cognition and avoiding new problems," she told HealthDay News. Better in-home care for dementia patients not only can help prevent some of the major causes of hospitalization, she said, it would cost less than a typical hospital stay, and result in fewer health complications.   Photo credit: homeinstead.co.kr
Search AARP Blogs