Unemployment Compensation Is Taxable

IRS 1040 Tax Form Being Filled Out
The following is a guest post by Alan Kalman.

If you or your spouse collected unemployment benefits in 2012, be sure you count that money as gross income when you file your tax return.

It may come as a surprise to some workers, but unemployment compensation from your state is taxable. In fact, there's a specific line on the 1040, 1040A and 1040EZ forms for you to add the amount to gross income.

Find tax forms online.

In January of each year, your state will send you and the IRS Form 1099-G to report the amount of unemployment benefits paid to you the previous year.

Unemployment compensation is not wages and there is no Social Security or Medicare tax withheld from the payment. Unemployment is also not earned income so you can't use unemployment compensation to obtain the Earned Income Tax Credit.

Most states will not withhold any income tax from these benefits unless you specifically request it. Consider withholding taxes from your unemployment checks or else you may find yourself owing taxes. Making quarterly estimated tax payments is another way to avoid this unpleasant surprise. You can find more information on this subject in IRS Tax Topic 518.

If you have a dependent child who was laid off and is eligible for unemployment benefits, there is a risk that your child may be subject to what many refer to as the "Kiddie Tax" (tax on a child's investment income). This happens when a dependent child has investment income in excess of $1,900, which will be taxed at the parent's tax rate. Most of us think of investment income as interest, dividends and capital gains sourced from investment property. When it comes to the Kiddie Tax, it includes just about all unearned income the child receives, including-you guessed it-unemployment compensation. When this happens, the child's tax return cannot be prepared until the parent's return is finished. For more information on a child being taxed at the parent's rate see IRS Tax Topic 553.

Alan Kalman is a volunteer for the AARP Foundation Tax-Aide Program in Santa Fe, N.M. He is a retired financial executive from IBM Corporation and Siemens AG. Through the AARP Foundation Tax-Aide program, AARP Foundation provides online tax counseling as a public service, but it cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information provided. Your taxes are your responsibility. You are solely responsible for what you do in your own tax situation.

Search AARP Blogs

Related Posts
December 13, 2016 03:31 PM
This is a wonderful time of the year to relax, recharge and refocus before the new year begins. It’s also an ideal time for family and friends to gather to catch up, and for you to reflect and begin to focus on your 2017 goals, particularly as they relate to your career. Whether you’re employed and searching for a new job or unemployed and seeking a job, now is the perfect time to develop your execution plan. Here are a few pointers to help you get focused and stay ahead in your job search.
September 08, 2016 03:31 PM
Are you seeking a career change or a new job? If so, plan to attend  AARP’s Virtual Career Fair, Sept. 20 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. ET. The fair will feature employers from across the country.
March 11, 2016 10:58 AM
Are you looking for a new job or considering a career change? Many experienced workers share the sentiment that navigating today’s job market is not as easy as it was perhaps 20 years ago. In the world of social media and job hunting online, it can become even more difficult to navigate the myriad social and professional platforms. It may require you to regroup, get reenergized and rework your job search plan.