News, discoveries and ... fun
1. The mission of India's Mangalyaan spacecraft to Mars cost a lot less than the blockbuster movie Gravity. (Learn more at NY Times)
2. Babette March, the first Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue cover model in 1964, is now a 72-year-old artist and innkeeper in Halfway, Ore. (Learn more at AARP)
3. Facebook offers 50 ways to describe your gender. (Learn more at Future Tense)
4. DNA testing might solve mysteries of Mona Lisa's smile. (Learn more at Mail Online)
5. A robotic hand connected to still-working nerves allows amputees to re-experience a sense of touch. (Learn more at MIT Technology Review)
6. A former top aide to Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher wrote the novel that spawned the Netflix House of Cards series. (Learn more at AARP)
7. It's true: If you lick something really, really cold, your tongue might stick to it. (Learn more at MassLive)
8. Crocodiles can climb trees to bask in the sun and use tools to hunt. (Learn more at Reuters)
9. Under the health care law's insurance marketplaces, people in much of Minnesota, northwestern Pennsylvania and Tucson, Ariz., pay premiums half the price or less than in the most expensive places. (Learn more at AARP)
10. Tuberculosis, staph and other bacteria are art. (Learn more at Smithsonian.com)
11. If you get an email that starts "You are cordially invited to express your sympathy in memory of your friend at a celebration of life service..." - you should stop before you click. (Learn more at AARP)
Bonus video: This "fish on wheels" controls the direction of an electric cart by swimming.
Let us read 11 Things to you:
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/135693749" params="color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_artwork=true" width="100%" height="166" iframe="true" /]
Learn something this week? Mail your ideas to email@example.com, and we'll try to include your story next time.
On Twitter, we're using the hashtag #11things.
Credits: Promo image of Indian spacecraft:Pallava Bagla/Corbis; Artist rendering of Mars spacecraft (above) - Indian Space Research Organisation; Babette March: Photo by Jon Kopaloff/Getty Images; Facebook screenshot: AARP; Mona Lisa: WikiPaintings; Robotic Hand: Universití Campus Bio-Medico di Roma/Flickr; Tongue stuck: CTE Consulting/istockphoto; Felt lungs artwork: Smithsonian Magazine/Anna Dumitriu
Music - Smithsonian Jazz Masterworks Orchestra plays Jimmie Lunceford and his Orchestra - Blue Blazes by Sy Oliver, Creative Commons, courtesy of Smithsonian Remix project.
>> Sign up for the AARP Leisure Newsletter
Also of Interest
- Bumblebees Can Fly Higher Than Mount Everest, and Other Things We Didn't Know Last Week
- Nicolas Cage and Other Celebrities Who Went Broke
- Get free assistance with tax-return preparation from Tax-Aide
- Join AARP: Savings, resources and news for your well-being
See the AARP home page for deals, savings tips, trivia and more
>> Get entertainment and dining discounts with your AARP Member Advantages.