AARP Eye Center
News, discoveries and ... fun
3. Former Taco Bell interns claim the $1 billion idea now marketed as the Doritos Locos Taco was theirs nearly 20 years ago, and they have pictures to prove it. (Learn more at Huffington Post)
Good ideas can come from anyone. Taco Bell interns in 1995 were first to suggest Doritos Tacos http://t.co/1zqAlTYUnj pic.twitter.com/VN3W8Df6wG - Laura Fitzpatrick (@BitzOfFitz) April 8, 2014
5. The U.S. Navy can turn seawater into fuel. (Learn more at DefenseNews)
6. Gamers play the 30-year-old video game Tetris on a 100,000-square-foot "screen." (Learn more at Seattle PI)
7. Boston doctors prescribe memberships to public bike-share programs. (Learn more at Fast Company)
8. Medicare paid 344 doctors at least $3 million apiece in 2012. (Learn more at AARP)
>> Get entertainment and dining discounts with your AARP Member Advantages.
9. Proof via Twitter: Easterners prefer Bud Light, Westerners prefer Coors Light. (Learn more at Daily Mail)
10. A woman is living in her Amsterdam apartment as if she were stuck in 1938, right down to her Bakelite phone and vintage sewing kit. (Learn more at Yahoo News)
11. A retired Canadian teacher makes good on his promise to return letters he had students write to themselves 20 years ago. (Learn more at National Post)
Bonus Video: Come along with two-legged boxer Duncan on his first visit to the beach.
Learn something this week? Mail your ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we'll try to include your story next time.
On Twitter, we're using the hashtag #11things.
Let us read 11 Things to you:
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/143934575" params="color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_artwork=true" width="100%" height="166" iframe="true" /]
Images - Archie Stamp: PictureLake/iStockphoto; Woman on bicycle: kali9/iStockphoto; Morning coffee in Paris: lakovKalinin/iStockphoto; USS Anchorage: U.S. Navy photo by Christopher Lindahl; Boston bikeshare: Marc Buehler/Flickr; Beer map embedded from Daily Mail Online; Self portrait, courtesy of Jo Hedwig Teeuwisse
Music - Smithsonian Jazz Masterworks Orchestra plays Jimmie Lunceford and his Orchestra - Blue Blazes by Sy Oliver, Creative Commons, courtesy of Smithsonian Remix project.
Also of Interest
- Weaponized Cats, Selfie-Thinning Apps and Other Things We Didn't Know Last Week
- Las Vegas and 9 Other Budget-Friendly Trips for 2014
- Get free assistance with tax-return preparation from Tax-Aide
- Join AARP: Savings, resources and news for your well-being
See the AARP home page for deals, savings tips, trivia and more