News, discoveries and ... fun
1. N Vox.com)(Learn more at
2. A man in deep thought has been lurking beneath one of Pablo Picasso's first masterpieces. (Learn more at AARP)
4. The stereotype of the "greedy geezer" voter is a figment of the public imagination. (Learn more at HeraldTribune.com)
5. Walking just 6,000 steps a day can help you avoid or reduce the pain of arthritic knees. (Learn more at AARP)
6. Bill Clinton is the most admired president of the past 25 years. (Learn more at the Wall Street Journal)
7. Younger people favor expanding Social Security more than older people. (Learn more at AARP)
8. If you inherit an IRA, creditors can get their hands on the money in it. (Learn more at AARP)
9. This year, Dad is worth $24,103. (Learn more at AARP)
10. Oxytocin, the "love hormone," can make old muscles new again. (Learn more at Futurity.org)
Bonus video: It's summertime, and swimming pools everywhere are opening for the season. All the more reason to love this little vignette-in-a-video from Wire Fox Terrier Rescue Midwest. Can Waldo fish his beloved squeaky toys out of the kiddie pool? You'll have to watch to find out.
Learn something this week? Mail your ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we'll try to include your story next time.
On Twitter, we're using the hashtag #11things.
Let us read 11 Things to you:
[soundcloud url="https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/154956982" params="color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_artwork=true&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false" width="100%" height="166" iframe="true" /]
Images - naked mole-rat: Smithsonian's National Zoo; infrared image of Pablo Picasso's "The Blue Room" (1901), The Phillips Collection © 2008; Vessyl "smart cup": MyVessyl.com; "geezer" voter: Artemis Gordon (iStockphoto); arthritic knees: temet (iStockphoto); former presidents: White House photo by Eric Draper via Wikipedia; creditors and IRAs: Radiant Byte (iStockphoto); "Father Knows Best" cast photo (1962): Wikipedia; oxytocin: MindZiper via Wikipedia; manatee: Ahodges7 via Wikipedia
Also of Interest
- Bulletproof Blankets and Other Things We Didn't Know Last Week
- 7 Things You Should Never Say to Customer Service
- Fight fraud and ID theft with the AARP Fraud Watch Network.
- Join AARP: Savings, resources and news for your well-being
See the AARP home page for deals, savings tips, trivia and more