I love shoes. But finding really fabulous styles for women over 50 can sometimes be frustrating, and very expensive.
Just as challenging, styles are often so young (too high!) or so frumpy (too flat!), it's enough to make me want to go barefoot. Not good.
However, scouting around recently for some great shoes to use in in an upcoming video for " The Best of Everything" series for the AARP YouTube Channel ( watch the first season here!), I came across a treasure trove of fantastic styles at even more fantastic prices.
Here's a sneak preview of the stylish shoes that got my vote, all for under $50! Each style can be worn for many different occasions - work, play, date night - putting them all into the "must have this fall" category. Yay!
- Best 'Date Night' Shoe: Here's why I love this shoe: it's a gorgeous deep jewel-tone red (quite cool right now); the heel is chunkier, offering more stability; the toe is a bit rounded which is comfortable; the suede-like fabric is a nice transition into fall; they can be worn with jeans, a black skirt or dress; and they're priced at under $30! Get them at Target. Oh, and they're also available in the always-popular leopard print.
- Best 'Work' Shoe: Lots of women over 50 I know shy away from wearing heels during the day for work because they can be uncomfortable, and they stick with flats, which can be boring. But I found a shoe that offers comfort, style, and a little bit of sexiness, too: the kitten heel. I've been a fan of the kitten heel for years, but they haven't always been easy to find. All of a sudden, they're almost everywhere! And one of the best ones I've seen is this from Target, priced at less than $30. I've worn these blue suede shoes (they also come in red, black, and bone) with a knee length shift dress for business, and with my favorite straight-leg jeans. Love them.
- Best 'Every Day Loafer' Shoe: My teenaged daughters love to shop at Urban Outfitters, but every once in a while I snag something for myself, too. Like these loafers, which are comfortable, cool, classic, look great paired with jeans or black pants, and are well-priced at under $35.
- Best 'Booties' Shoe: My go-to shoes in the fall are, hands (or feet) down, my black booties. 'Booties' are simply ankle-height boots that look fantastic when worn with jeans (straight leg or boot cut), pants, skirts, dresses, really just about anything. I wear my booties with black tights and knee-lenth skirts and sweaters all fall and into the winter months, too. My new favorites, from JCPenney, are elegant, simple, and extremely well-priced at under $50.
- Best 'Leopard Print' Shoe: If you wear jeans, pants or leggings, you definitely want a pair of these: leopard print flats. Animal print-patterned shoes have transcended "trend" status and are now a staple for women who want to add a little flash to their fashion, without spending a fortune. Of all the animal print flats I looked at ranging in prices from $18 to over $300, these simple subdued shoes from Target (yes, $18) got my vote.
Want to see more terrific options for men AND women? Check out the latest episode of THE BEST OF EVERYTHING AFTER 50 web series on the AARP YouTube Channel:
I want to hear from you! Do you have your new fall shoes already lined up neatly in your closet, waiting to be worn? Tell us what they are in the comments section below. Let me know what you want to see on future segments of THE BEST OF EVERYTHING WITH BARBARA HANNAH GRUFFERMAN video show on the AARP YouTube Channel. For more tips on living your best life after 50 (or 60, or 70), check out www.bestofeverythingafter50.com. Keep me posted on how you're doing by subscribing to me on Facebook and tweeting me on Twitter@BGrufferman.
Photo credits: Urban Outfitters, Target, JCPenney
Also of Interest
See the AARP home page for deals, savings tips, trivia and more