News, discoveries and ... fun
1. Planet Earth has a cousin - Kepler-186f - about 500 light-years away in the constellation Cygnus. (Learn more at The Atlantic)
2. A disorder that causes you to act out your dreams is the best predictor of brain disease, says a new study. (Learn more at AARP)
3. A majority of American adults in all age groups now owns a smartphone. (Learn more at Time)
4. Colorado boomers are the best educated; Maryland's boomers are the wealthiest. (Learn more at AARP)
5. It's possible to dine at all 24 restaurants in Jenkintown, Pa., in a single day - just ask the mayor. (Learn more at Montgomery Media)
6. America's middle class is not the wealthiest in the world. (Learn more at the New York Times)
7. The odds of surviving a long, high-altitude flight stowed away in the wheel well of a plane are about 25 percent. (Learn more at CNN)
8. Your preferred sleeping position with your honey says a lot about your relationship. (Learn more at AARP)
9. Two species of mammals survived at least 23 million years. (Learn more at the Washington Post)
10. Considering yourself attractive leads you to believe you belong in a higher social class. (Learn more at Quartz)
11. As you age, you're likely to get nicer. (Learn more at AARP)
Bonus video: Please tell us why you think this video of a young man getting booted in the head by the driver of a passing train has more than 25 million views:
Learn something this week? Mail your ideas to email@example.com, and we'll try to include your story next time.
On Twitter, we're using the hashtag #11things.
Let us read 11 Things to you:
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/146148077" params="color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_artwork=true" width="100%" height="166" iframe="true" /]
Credits - New planet: NASA; Selfie: mbbirdy/iStockphoto; Boomer map: AARP; Potato pancakes: Ed Foley/Twitter; Sleeping couple: bowdenimages/iStockphoto; Elephant-like creature: Benjamin Burger; Smiling guy with moustache: Kamyar Adl/Flickr;
Music - Smithsonian Jazz Masterworks Orchestra plays Jimmie Lunceford and his Orchestra - Blue Blazes by Sy Oliver, Creative Commons, courtesy of Smithsonian Remix project.
Also of Interest
- Jet Lag App, Body Heat Generator and Other Things We Didn't Know Last Week
- Jerry Mathers and Other Famous Child Stars - Where Are They Now?
- Fight fraud and ID theft with the AARP Fraud Watch Network.
- Join AARP: Savings, resources and news for your well-being
See the AARP home page for deals, savings tips, trivia and more