News, discoveries and ... fun
3. Some of London's iconic red phone booths are becoming solar-powered charging stations for mobile devices. (Learn more at Gizmodo)
5. Maple leaves dipped in batter and deep fried are a popular snack in parts of Japan. (Learn more at Buzzfeed)
6. When the TV series Twin Peaks ended, one character promised, "I'll see you again in 25 years," and she was right. (Learn more at The Atlantic)
7. Identity theft is occurring at up to twice the rate previously believed. (Learn more at AARP)
8. A berry found only in a small part of Australia kills cancer. (Learn more at ABC)
9. Scientists can make oxygen from carbon dioxide without using plants. (Learn more at LA Times)
10. Your genes determine how much coffee you drink. (Learn more at USA Today)
11. You — well, your name — can fly to Mars. (Learn more at NASA)
To celebrate the launch of BBC Music, here's the Beach Boys' hit "God Only Knows" with a cameo by songwriter Brian Wilson:
Learn something this week? Mail your ideas to email@example.com, and we’ll try to include your story next time.
On Twitter, we’re using the hashtag # 11things.
Let us read 11 Things to you:
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/171251000" params="color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false" width="100%" height="166" iframe="true" /]
Images — Willie Nelson's braids: Guernsey's; Sun: NASA; London phone booths: Solarbox via Twitter; Paul Revere and the Raiders: GAB Archive/Getty Images; Deep-fried leaves: Bert Kimura/Flickr;Twin Peaks: David Lynch/Twitter/YouTube; Cancer-fighting berries: QIMR Berghofer Medical Research Institute; Coffee cup: Tammy Gordon; Mars passport: NASA
Music – Smithsonian Jazz Masterworks Orchestra plays Jimmie Lunceford and his Orchestra – Blue Blazes by Sy Oliver, Creative Commons, courtesy of Smithsonian Remix project and BBC Music production of "God Only Knows"
Also of Interest
- Caffeinated Underwear and Other Things We Didn't Know Last Week
- Celebrity Star Couples — Still Crazy for Each Other
- Get Involved: Learn How You Can Give Back
- Join AARP: Savings, resources and news for your well-being
See the AARP home page for deals, savings tips, trivia and more.