I approach the holidays like a Golden Globes nominee — that is, with a can’t-fail-to-look-good plan.
Do I employ a live-in stylist? Nope — just this low-stress, high-sizzle strategy. Pair it with your drink of choice and you are practically guaranteed to survive your every public appearance from now until New Year’s Day!
1. Prep face, hair and hands overnight. Don’t waste time or effort on what no one can see. (Spanx and a good bra should take care of that.) Instead, super-blast your skin and hair with moisture while you snooze. Bedtime masks, designed to be greaseless but deeply hydrating, use your (literal) downtime to reboot dry, damaged hair and parched, lined skin. Slather your hands in a thick layer of hand cream (or leftover night cream), then slip on a pair of clean cotton socks so your mitts don’t mess the sheets. Try Pantene Pro-V Overnight Miracle Repair Serum, Clinique Moisture Surge Overnight Mask, L’Oréal Paris Revitalift Triple Power Intensive Overnight Mask or Alterna Caviar Anti-Aging Overnight Rescue.
>> Celebrity Milestone Birthdays in Decemeber
2. Dress up from the waist up. Across a dinner table or at a cocktail party or brunch, people — th
3. Life-hack your hair. No need to ring in the season with a salon blowout or a complete redo. Simply move your part, add hot rollers for volume, mist roots with dry shampoo to refresh bed head or second-day hair, add faux bangs or pull everything back in a chic, sleek ponytail. You can even embellish the band with some metallic ribbon left over from wrapping packages.
4. Pair pink lips and nails. This is a quick move — and one that reliably says “glam.” A rich pink on the rosy side is a newer and more
5. Let your face sparkle. ’Tis not the season for delicate studs or a feminine locket. Rather, a pair of chunky crystal earrings (or a statement necklace with oversize baguettes) will make anything you wear look opulent. (Both adornments also light up your face, reflecting the gleam in your eyes.) Earrings should be clip-ons in order not to drag on lobes or piercings, while a choker should be worn high at your collarbones, where it will have maximum effect. Try BaubleBar Geo Aztec Drops, Chroma Cushions Necklace or a stone bib necklace by Cara.
>> Get travel discounts with your AARP Member Advantages.
For more beauty and style tips for women 50 and up, check out my Wardrobe Wakeup: Your Guide to Looking Fabulous at Any Age.
Photos: zara.com/usa; deborahlippmann.com; baublebar.com.
Also of Interest
- Beat the Big Chill With These Beauty Items
- Playboy Bunnies: Then and Now
- Fight Fraud and ID Theft With the AARP Fraud Watch Network
- Join AARP: Savings, resources and news for your well-being
See the AARP home page for deals, savings tips, trivia and more