News, discoveries and fun ...
3. New surgical superglue can patch a hole in a beating heart. (Learn more at NPR)
4. Some people who get migraines spell relief p-l-a-c-e-b-o. (Learn more at AARP)
5. The NBA will end merger payments to the owners of a defunct ABA team - at $800 million. (Learn more at New York Times)
6. Coffee boosts your memory for 24 hours. (Learn more at Futurity.org)
7. Most members of Congress are now millionaires. (Learn more at OpenSecrets.org)
8. Flossing may protect you from Alzheimer's. (Learn more at AARP)
9. A safari guide paid $350,000 for the chance to hunt and kill an endangered black rhinoceros. (Learn more at News.com.au)
10. After 43 years, we know who stole files from an FBI office in Pennsylvania. (Learn more at AARP)
11. The creator of Beanie Babies hid millions of dollars in a Swiss bank. (Learn more at San Francisco Chronicle)
A baby polar bear takes his first steps:
Let us read 11 Things to you:
Learn something this week? Mail your ideas to email@example.com, and we'll try to include your story next time.
On Twitter, we're using the hashtag #11things.
Images - Chicks and books: EBlokhina/istockphoto; The Waldorf-Astoria by Hennem08 via Wikimedia; Basketball: JeromeG111/Flickr; Coffee design: Stephen Rees/Flickr; Black Rhino: Thomas Kitchin & Victoria Hurst/Getty Images; Beanie Babies: Lyle58/Flickr;
Music - Smithsonian Jazz Masterworks Orchestra plays Jimmie Lunceford and his Orchestra - Blue Blazes by Sy Oliver, Creative Commons, courtesy of Smithsonian Remix project.
>> Sign up for the AARP Leisure Newsletter
Also of Interest
- Veteran Stars Take a Spin with The Golden Globes
- Antianxiety Drugs - and 9 Other Meds That May Cause Memory Loss
- Get free assistance with tax-return preparation from Tax-Aide
- Join AARP: Savings, resources and news for your well-being
See the AARP home page for deals, savings tips, trivia and more
>> Get travel discounts with your AARP Member Advantages.