News, discoveries and ... fun
1. A flycatcher first glimpsed in 1997 and then collected in 2012 has been confirmed as a new bird species. (Learn more at Futurity)
2. Remarriage is on the rise for Americans ages 55 and older. (Learn more at Pew Research Center)
>> Ageless Hollywood Celebs — No Way They're 70-Plus!
3. A British man lived with a tapeworm moving around in his brain for four years. (Learn more at Mashable)
4. A spoon developed by Google helps people with tremors eat without spilling. (Learn more at ABCNews)
5. When it comes to memory, babies accentuate the positive. (Learn more from Brigham Young University)
6. Nine out of 10 people who drink too much are not alcoholics. (Learn more at NY Times)
7. Manufacturers are increasing the prices of some generic drugs by 1,000 percent or more. (Learn more at AARP)
8. The biggest nutcracker in the world — 41 feet tall — can crack coconuts. (Learn more at NRToday.com)
9. Montana's Glacier National Park lost more than 80 percent of its signature ice fields in the past century. (Learn more at NY Times)
>> Get travel discounts with your AARP Member Advantages.
10. Only half of patients take their medications as prescribed. (Learn more at McMaster University via Eureka Alert)
11. Green-bean casserole will appear on 30 million Thanksgiving tables this year. (Learn more from Yahoo! Travel)
Bonus video: While you're enjoying your holiday meal, hamsters all over America are enjoying theirs
Learn something this week? Mail your ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we’ll try to include your story next time.
On Twitter, we’re using the hashtag # 11things.
Let us read 11 Things to you:
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/178625394" params="color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false" width="100%" height="166" iframe="true" /]
Images — Flycatcher: Adapted from original paintings by Teo Nam Siang in Harris, et al. (2014) A New Species of Muscicapa Flycatcher from Sulawesi, Indonesia. PLoS ONE 9(11): e112657. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0112657; Tapeworm gif: New Scientist/Nagui Antoun; Daughter and mother: iStock/lifesizeimages; Liquor bottles: Flickr/SakshiSharma; Pills: iStock/ajt; Glacier National Park: iStock/hvillarrea; Green Bean Casserole: iStock/Anne G; Tiny Hamster: from Tiny Hamster Thanksgiving Ep. 4 via YouTube;
Music – Smithsonian Jazz Masterworks Orchestra plays Jimmie Lunceford and his Orchestra – Blue Blazes by Sy Oliver, Creative Commons, courtesy of Smithsonian Remix project
Also of Interest
- Avatars for Custom Clothes and Other Things We Didn't Know Last Week
- 7 Things You Should Never Say to Customer Service
- Get Involved: Learn How You Can Give Back
- Join AARP: Savings, resources and news for your well-being
See the AARP home page for deals, savings tips, trivia and more.