AARP Eye Center
11 Things We Didn't Know Last Week
By Steve Mencher, December 17, 2014 04:36 PM
News, discoveries and ... fun
1. Yes, men are idiots. (Learn more at AARP)
2. Drinking alcohol to fall asleep can have the opposite effect. (Learn more at University of Missouri via Futurity)
3. The myth that eating carrots improves your eyesight stems from a World War II espionage ruse. (Learn more at Washington Post)
4. If you feel younger, you'll live longer. (Learn more at AARP)
5. Watson, the IBM computer, is becoming a leading expert on post-traumatic stress disorder. (Learn more at Mashable)
6. You can buy a military-spec used Humvee from the Army, but you can't take it on a public road. (Learn more at Yahoo Autos)
7. More teens smoke electronic cigarettes than regular cigarettes. (Learn more at St. Louis Post Dispatch)
8. Forty-three countries, including Albania, have banned spanking, but not the United States. (Learn more at VOX)
>> Get travel discounts with your AARP Member Advantages.
10. Horses that win the Kentucky Derby have a "speed gene" that ancient horses lacked. (Learn more at Christian Science Monitor)
11. Pilfering patients are the reason there's nothing interesting to read in your doctor's waiting room.(Learn more at AARP)
Bonus video: You know how sometimes it seems there's only one song on the radio and it's playing all the time? Well, this video mashup brilliantly proves that was the case in 2014.
Learn something this week? Mail your ideas to email@example.com, and we’ll try to include your story next time.
On Twitter, we’re using the hashtag #11things.
Let us read 11 Things to you:
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/181993090" params="color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false" width="100%" height="166" iframe="true" /]
Images — Rowdy fans: iStock/dangubic; Carrots: Flickr/Al Case; Dancing couple: iStock/aldo murillo; Humvee: U.S. Army photo by Sgt. 1st Class Michel Sauret
Flickr/DVIDSHUB; Vaping: Flickr/A. Currell; Spanking graphic: Time magazine; Ocean garbage: Flickr/NOAA photo library; Magazine montage: iStock/hutchyb
Music – Smithsonian Jazz Masterworks Orchestra plays Jimmie Lunceford and his Orchestra – Blue Blazes by Sy Oliver, Creative Commons, courtesy of Smithsonian Remix project.
Also of Interest
- 11 Things: Left-Handed People Earn Less Than Righties
- Celebrity Star Couples Over 50
- Get Involved: Learn How You Can Give Back
- Join AARP: Savings, resources and news for your well-being
See the AARP home page for deals, savings tips, trivia and more.