In 2014, we conducted a study to examine the importance of key social issues facing African Americans/blacks who are age 50 and older, and also to gauge their optimism in regard to these social issues. The figures and associated infographic were recently updated.
>> Visit AARP Research for Information, Insights, and Trends Impacting Americans 50+
The key findings from the study show:
- Access to high-quality health care and having a financially secure retirement are the most important issues facing age 50-plus African Americans/blacks.
- The respondents are more optimistic that the country is moving in the right direction in regard to access to high-quality health care.
- But there is less optimism that the country is moving in the right direction in regard to having a financially secure retirement.
- Participants in the study age 75 and older are more optimistic than those ages 50-64 that the country is moving in the right direction about having a financially secure retirement.
- Those with incomes less than $50,000 are more optimistic than those with incomes above that level that the country is moving in the right direction in regard to having a financially secure retirement.
For more information, please contact: Vicki Gelfeld, AARP Research, firstname.lastname@example.org, Yuko Araki, Multicultural Markets & Engagement, email@example.com, or Manjushree Majhi, AARP Research, firstname.lastname@example.org.
AARP helps people turn their goals and dreams into real possibilities, strengthens communities and fights for and equips Americans 50 and older to live their best lives. Discover all the ways AARP can help you, your family and your community at AARP Black Community.
Also of Interest
- TEK Technology Education Center
- Which States Tax Social Security Benefits?
- AARP Foundation Tax-Aide: Get free help preparing and filing your taxes
- Join or Renew Your AARP Membership: Celebrate Black History Month and get 20% off membership dues plus a free gift when you Join AARP.
See the AARP home page for deals, savings tips, trivia and more